We have a new neighbor on our little street. His name is Reginald and I am not a fan. He is obnoxious, annoying, rude and has absolutely no respect for anyone else. He is constantly making noise in the wee hours of the morning with no regard for anyone else. And worst of all, he struts around his back yard completely naked and unashamed. Oh, and Reginald is a rooster. A very loud and annoying rooster who likes to wake up the whole street with his loud crowing around 5 o'clock every morning.
There have been a number of mornings I contemplated setting a fox free in the neighbor's chicken coop. Then I remember I don't have a fox, I have a lazy and easily frightened cat. Honestly, between the cat running up and down the stairs yowling as soon as we go to bed and the rooster cock-a-doodle-doing at 5 it's amazing we ever get any sleep around here.
Now for some fun facts about Troy so I don't forget:
1. It's a seriously tiny town nestled in a valley completely surrounded by trees. It's absolutely gorgeous in every season and the air always smells clean and fresh.
2. In this tiny town there are the following shops:
- the post office
- a floral shop
- a barber
- an antique store
- a convenience store
- 3 bars
- a liquor store
- and one awesome "restaurant" called the filling station that makes the most amazing sandwiches
3. On the edge of town there is a second antique shop in a little barn. I don't count this one as a shop because it is only open when they put their sign out on the side of the road and I think I've only seen the sign 4 times in the whole time we've lived here.
4. Every morning, when the whole town is quiet, you can hear the birds singing and the saw at the cedar mill running. It's a little whining/whirring sound that's not at all unpleasant.
5. The nights are almost silent here in the winter and in the summer you can hear tons of bugs chirping. Oh, and there are tons of moths which is actually pretty gross...
6. There is a "bell" (which sounds like a tornado siren) that goes off every day at noon. We were told it signals lunch time. The first day we were here it scared the ever living daylights out of me but now there are days I don't even notice it.
7. The aforementioned neighbors recently put in a chicken coop and there is now a constant low grade clucking which really isn't so bad. It's just that stupid rooster that I want to kill.
8. The toilet in our house sounds like it has an angry gremlin living in it every time it flushes. (I've gotten used to this one too. I didn't remember how freaky it was until we had some visitors comment on it, which made me smile.)
9. Ever since moving to Troy Kevin has had the strange desire to steal wood and become known as the Cedar Bandit. When asked why he wants to steal cedar he responds "so I can burn it." I think he forgets our "wood stove" is gas powered... Almost every time we drive past the cedar mill he says "the cedar bandit strikes again" it cracks me up.
10. We have two gigantic trees in our front yard that not only keep the house cool in the summer but are also super awesome because they look like the whomping willow from the Harry Potter movies.
Kevin and I have loved living in Troy and there are definitely things we will miss when we move away but we are ready for our next adventure and we are sure we will fall in love with Seattle just as we fell in love with Troy.
2 comments:
Sounds like a fun little town and your house is adorable! Sorry about your neighbor...get a bb gun. :)
Good thing you are moving away from the rooster!! Too bad you're leaving your whomping willow though. Can't wait to hear all about your new home in Seattle. Love you!
Post a Comment