For weeks my parents were bugging me about packing, and telling me that I need to do all sorts of things before I left for school. Of course, being the wonderful child that I am I simply rolled my eyes and thought to myself: "Holy Crap! Could they BE anymore annoying? I have plenty of time and I really wish they would just get off my back. Seriously, Mom is acting like she wants to get rid of me which we all know can't be true!" Eventually, (ok, so a couple days later) I realized that I was only home for two more days but at this point it just seemed to depressing and daunting to pack so I put it off yet again. I figured it wasn't that big of a deal because I didn't have that much stuff and there was no way that it would take me very long. It wasn't until the morning of the last day I had to pack that I realized I hadn't packed a single thing and that I had all sorts of unfinished projects that I no longer had time to finish. Hmm.... it seems as though my parents were actually right. I hate it when that happens. I'm pretty sure that my crap multiplied and replenished my room while I was home this summer because there is no way that I could possibly own so much stuff. I think I could have built the Great Wall of Washington with all the boxes I filled with junk. And the saddest part is, it doesn't even look like I've left Vancouver my room still runneth over with crap. Yikes!
Somehow my incredible Dad was able
to fit all my boxes and my humongous suitcase into the Camry the night before I was supposed to leave. I feel I experienced my own tiny miracle when I was able to finish packing in one day; and I even went to bed before 12:00. The day was finally here: August 28th. The day I would spend 16 hours cramped in a car with all my stuff as I headed out to start another year at the most wonderful college on earth! *sappy music playing in background* I actually drove all but one hour of the trip so that Mom could count it as a work day. Aren't I kind? I had a good time playing "spot the student" as I passed other cars (at a speed completely withing the confines of the law - *wink wink*). It was certainly a little depressing that I think my car was by far the most packed of any I saw. We finally arrived in Eagle Mountain around 10:00 and of course Uncle Carl's neighbor was out working in his garage. He was keeping a close eye on us until Mom finally decided to tell him that we were in fact related to the Johnsons and that although they do have an awesome ping-pong table we were not there to steal anything (as though we could fit anything else in the car).Sadly, when we arrived at the house I remembered the second pile of boxes I had stored in his garage. Holy Crap! Just one more step on the path to the crazy cat lady! ('Cause they have all sorts of usless crap including their 500 cats) I wonder if there is professional help for this kind of thing... I hope the cure is a box full of kittens applied directly to the chest (if you don't understand, then you clearly don't watch enough stupid TV shows; if you do understand, I now like you so much more than I did just two seconds ago).
After a few trips to and from Eagle Mountain and a few more trips with a shopping cart full of junk we had filled up two of the rooms in my apartment. Get ready to jump with glee because here comes the exciting part: I only have one roommate! My first thought when I discovered this fact was "Awesome! More room for my food!" Mom quickly reminded me this also meant that I would have my own bathroom... which is definitely cool, don't get me wrong... but seriously, can you beat more room for food? My roommate seems really sweet and very tidy; so we'll see how that goes. I know Mom is hoping she rubs off on me.
Are you ready for a tangent? I hope so 'cause here I go: So, my Mom says that it is important to have a clean home when people see it because you want to make a good impression. However, if you are like me, then isn't that a false impression? Shouldn't I let people see me for who I am? I think they should know all the facts before making a decision about me. Ok, so maybe not ALL the facts. It's more just that I want an excuse to me messy. Oh! Wait! I already have one. The Law of Entropy!(I'd say look it up, but Wikipeida confused me so I'll fill you in: everything naturally goes to chaos - and it's just not right to fight nature). Don't you just love it when science works to your advantage?
After hours upon hours of back-breaking work I was finally able to organize my room just so. I think it looks pretty darn good. Mom of course offered to help me but I am a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to putting things away, thanks though Mom. I know, even I don't understand how that is possible seeing as I seem to have no problem living in a pigsty. Regardless, all of my clothes need to be organized by sleeve (or pant) length then by color and they all have to hang the same direction. I must say though that I think my room looks pretty freaking awesome right now. I took pictures just to prove that at one point this year it was actually clean.
(There is a
good possibility that I will keep it a little cleaner now that
anyone and everyone in the courtyard can see directly into my room but probably not).Finally we get to today: I quickly remembered this morning just how much I despise the stairs to the campus. Although I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was not nearly as winded upon reaching the top as I was at this time last year. Yay Kayla! *this is where we all do a choreographed happy dance* I was still mostly asleep for my first class but it seems like it should be interesting. Although my teacher felt it necessary to remind me that my planned major is extremely competitive - thanks buddy for the vote of confidence - I'm a little offended that he didn't just look at me and see all of my potential and awesome-ness! I then had a break from about 9:00 until work at 1:00 - future nap time? I'm think a definite yes! I'm not the youngest one at work any more which is SUPER fun. Plus, I'm the only one that knows how to work the machinery so I was teaching the newbies how to operate everything. I feel so special! I'm not positive, but I think if I were a cartoon character I would have a bubble of glowing happiness surrounding me.
That was until my second class of the day burst my happy little bubble. I'm more than a tad bit terrified. The teacher seems really nice and funny but there is something James Bond villain-esque lurking under the sweet exterior. Where is my English Q when I need him? This is actually starting to seem like school. Bummer. It was so fun to be back when all I had to do was clean up a room and make new friends and then they have to go ruin it with this education crap.
If you made it all the way through this blog then I bow down at your feet, jump up, light sparklers and do the chicken dance to celebrate your accomplishment. If, however, you did not finish reading my AMAZING and overly detailed description then I will now be forced to taunt you: your mother was a hamster and your Father smelled of Elderberries! Now go away or I shall be forced to taunt you again.
6 comments:
And no mention at all about why you were so tired for your first day of school seeing as how you were out at all hours of the night with your most amazing cousins!!! I'm sorry your teacher didn't have confidence in you--I DO!! You are stunningly beautiful as well as completely and utterly brilliant... Good luck on the rest of your first week and come visit us very soon!
Hey, wait a minute! Only, like, four people read this blog (don't worry, that's more than read mine). And i'm one of them, so who was that "dense" comment directed to and why am i so confused?
Kayla- You are freakin' hilarious. What is your major anyways? You should be a writer- you are very witty. And yes, I made it through your blog ALL the way- and now want the chicken dance! :) Hope you going to love school- and realize that it is just play time...with a few grades. They forget to tell you this- but class attendance is optional. ;) Joey and I need to have you over for dinner sometime- it will be many moons of fun! Good luck with your evil teachers.
Kayla, I simply love you. That was a very fun read, indeed. And you should know that Jaxon looked at a picture of you this morning (called you Sheila, but whatever) and said he hadn't seen you in a long time and wants to play with you again because you were so awesome. So, can you come down for a little vist? Awesome. And good luck with school!
i also absolutely love you. you make me laugh. i have Grace here on my lap and we were both reading very intently. thank you SO much for the entertainment. :) and I also think you need to come over some time. you now have 3 standing dinner invitations. dacia, emily and me!! hope you can fit us all in somewhere. and i too am excited to see your chicken dance because i read every word of you witty blog. :)
Haha... I love the taunting comments at the end. It reminds me of Spamalot in Vegas. :) Miss you!
Post a Comment