Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fluffy Slippers and a Rubik's Cube

There is so much to tell, and I have all sorts of great posts stored up in my head, but the events of last night are simply too good to deny you the pleasure of reading for even one day.

As many of you know (and if you don't know, then shame on you for not knowing every little detail of my rather pathetic life) I am a little bit addicted to the television show Bones. It is an incredible show and I will do almost anything to ensure that I get to see it. My apartment complex actually supplies televisions and cable to every apartment which is wonderful except that for some reason the cable in my apartment refuses to let me watch the basic channels including FOX. I almost had a heart attack when I moved in and I discovered that I might not be able to see my most favorite of all shows. (Obviously this near-death experience was not enough to get me off my lazy butt to actually do something about getting my cable fixed but that is a story for a different time.) SO, my roommates from last year are still living at the same apartment complex and instead of a blue screen with a no signal sign they at least get an image. This really isn't saying much though because the entire time you try to watch the show the picture is bouncing around and cycling past the screen but at least it is something. (We tried calling some people the first week of classes to use their TV- and although we were successful it was a very uncomfortable situation - hey, do you mind if I use you for your TV for an hour?)

So last night at about 6:45 I ran up to 430 to go enjoy my show with my old roommates. The show was awesome! (Even with the slightly nauseating effect of the bouncing picture) After the show I stuck around to talk to my old roommates for a while and we had a good time dishing and re-living good times. About halfway through all the fun I realized that in my rush to see my show I forgot to take my keys upstairs with me. In the past this wasn't usually a problem because even if one of my roommates left, there were two others that could let me in. And more-often than not we left in pairs or groups and one of us had keys so it wasn't that big of a deal if one person forgot to grab theirs. I realized that there was a good possibility that my one and only roommate had left and that I would be locked out, but even then I wasn't too worried because there is a lock out number we can call after-hours and the first time is free.

I decided to check my apartment first and when I got there the door was, in fact, locked and my roommate was nowhere to be found. I then tried calling her cell phone but she didn't answer. That's alright, I still have the complex lock out number I can call. I go down to the front office figuring it would be a good place to post the number and EUREKA there it was.

To set the stage: when I first moved in I had to go to an orientation where they told us about two numbers, the lock out number and the emergency number. They are apparently very serious about their emergency number and will fine you something like $50 for calling the emergency number when there is no emergency.

Needless to say, I was very careful when I dialed the lock out number. I must have triple checked just to be sure (I can get a little paranoid) and I finally hit send (luckily I actually had my phone with me when I left the apartment). So I'm standing there, in my fluffy slippers wandering about the main lobby trying to look casual as I wait for someone to pick up on the other end. It just keeps ringing until it finally sends me to an answering machine. I ask you: how the heck is an answering machine supposed to unlock my door? Then, the message starts to play: "if this is a medical or other life-threatening emergency please call 911..." that's all I heard before I quickly hung up the phone hoping against hope that they wouldn't know it was me that called (now we just have to hope that none of them read this...). I'm freaked out 'cause I checked that number about five times and I was sure that I called the right one and then the irritation slowly sets in... There are two possible scenarios here:
1.) I called the correct number and instead of being connected to someone that could let me in to my apartment I was sent to an answering machine with a deceptive message and scared the tar out of me OR
2.) they had the wrong number written and I somehow called the emergency hot-line. In which
case, they really know how to show they care about their residents: "we take this hot-line seriously" - now please wait while we send you to our automated answering service which will tell you to call someone else.

Any way you look at it, I am still locked out of my apartment wandering around like a loser not only in my fluffy slippers but also carrying my Rubik's cube which I had taken over to play with during the show. I quickly tried to disappear and went as fast as I could (while still looking completely casual) back to my old roommate's apartment where one of the girls gave me a number that she had used the year before when she locked herself out. After my most recent experience making a phone call I wasn't extremely eager to make another and so I convinced McKenzie to call for me (yes, I'm lame, I know). She calls the number and BEHOLD the person no longer works here. She did say that if I went and knocked on the door of apartment 113 there would be someone there that could let me in.

I'm starting to get a little worried because I have no idea where my roommate is and how long she will be gone and I'm really not sure this new plan will work out any better than the others but I set off once again into the courtyard (with the fluffy slippers and the Rubik's cube - don't forget) and knock casually on the door of apartment 113. No answer! No big shocker there! After standing around just long enough to feel sufficiently stupid I decide that I will just have to wait it out and hope that my roomie will get home soon to let me in.

In the meantime I decide to call my mom to tell her about my pathetic evening. My wonderfully sympathetic and caring mother almost immediately starts to laugh at my misfortune. But before she can enjoy herself too fully I have an incoming call from my roomie! I immediately hung up on my mother and my roommate told me she had just returned to the apartment and that she would leave the door unlocked. Don't you just love a happy ending? I was still fuming a bit (it WAS a rather annoying situation) so I went in, grabbed my keys and I stalked off into the night to finish telling my mom the story. She, of course, thought the whole thing was hilarious and since I now had my keys even I was beginning to see the humor of the situation. I woke this morning wishing that I could have been watching the whole thing unfold. I'm pretty sure the movie of my life is going to be pretty comparable to one of those daytime comedies where the main character ends up in some uncomfortable, awkward or ridiculous situation in every episode.

To help you get the full effect I've decided to include these images:
















My fluffy slippers....

and


Me with the Rubik's Cube. At least I can make cool patterns with it right?



3 comments:

princess jen said...

That totally stinks! At least you can laugh about it now. Is there a place you can hide a key? Because I was/am notorious at forgetting my keys!

Alan J said...

ha, ha. I laugh at your (not so serious) misfortunte. Of course, i wouldn't laugh it was serious - like if you got your fluffly slippers muddy in the courtyard. I have an even funnier locked-out story i'll tell you sometime. It'll make you feel much less silly.

Mythreesons said...

Yeah, I'm laughing, too. Sorry kayla! But you're so cute in your fluffy slippers and I would just think someone was smart if I saw them wandering around with a rubik's cube. I'm glad you're having fun, though!