Sunday, August 7, 2011

Big News

It’s finally here: a new post from the Conradicals! I’m sure all of you have been checking daily for the last ten months waiting for an update. Well, wait no more – your prayers have been answered.

Since I obviously haven’t been very good about keeping this blog up to date I think it’s best that I give a little background before launching in to the present. Seeing as this will be background, you may already be aware of this information. If this is the case feel free to skip this blog and leave a nasty comment about how lame and boring it was. For those of you who find this to be new information, feel free to enjoy and leave a comment about how awesome and funny I am. (Just kidding, you can tell me I’m boring…but…you will be on my list. Just so you know.)

O.K. Now for the good stuff…this is exciting news everyone. Drumroll please! Kevin got in to medical school! Not just any medical school though, he got in to the University of Washington School of Medicine. And to add to his amazingness – he got in on his first try. For you to fully appreciate this you must understand that it takes most people at least two years to get in to UW.

I know many of you are probably thinking that it was I who encouraged/pushed Kevin to go to UW. However, this is not the case. UW has been Kevin’s ideal school since I met him. The reason for this you ask? I shall tell you. Kevin is an Idaho resident, yes the poor boy grew up in the cow poo state (just kidding all you Idaho lovers…kinda). However, Idaho doesn’t have a medical school. This means that any young Idaho kid hoping to be a doctor would have no choice but to pay out-of-sate tuition at the school they attend. In order to encourage Idahoans to become doctors Idaho has made a deal with the University of Washington that allows Idaho residents to pay in-state tuition. Idaho pays to reserve twenty seats at UW and then makes all the ambitious people duke it out to get a seat.

Kevin was one of these twenty supremely awesome people who managed to snag a seat. As a result we will save much money in the coming years and he gets to attend a really good med school. Which is a big deal considering how crazy expensive it is to go to med school. Is there a downside to this neat-o arrangement you ask? Yes, yes there is. You have to move A LOT. The first year is spent in your home state – for us that means the University of Idaho in Moscow. The second year in Seattle at the University of Washington and the third and fourth years are rotations. There are all sorts of places you can go for rotations so we really have no idea where we’ll be yet, which is a little worrisome but…what are you going to do?

In other, not as exciting news, I finally graduated from college. I say finally not because it took me ten years but because I have been threatening to drop out since my second year and about twice a week my final semester. It would probably be more exciting if I didn’t have a worthless degree. But lets be honest, considering how much I disliked college the fact that I graduated at all is something. Hopefully everyone that tells me just having a degree is a good thing are telling the truth. Of course it is definitely possible that they are just trying to make me feel better for graduating with a super lame degree.

Something fun that has come of my graduation is watching other people’s reactions to my telling them I have a degree in Psychology. There are two main reactions. The first is: “oooh… I guess I better watch what I say from now on.” This reaction is clearly coming from someone who is unaware of the fact that having a Bachelor of Psychology qualifies you for absolutely nothing. The second is: “soooo… what are you going to do with that.” These people DO understand that your degree is worthless and they are curious why you wasted four years and then have no plan for what you are going to do now. Well ha! Joke’s on you, I like having no future.

Just kidding. I took my first psychology class in my second year and although I really liked it I knew it wasn’t for me. See, my teacher told us flat out that to do anything with psychology you would have to go on to get at least a Masters Degree. I had been in college for exactly three semesters and I already knew I didn’t want to do any more school beyond the four years I was already doing. Thus, Psychology was ruled out as a possible major. When the second semester of my third year rolled around and advertising was out of the picture, I decided it was time to get out of school with a degree. Any degree. Psychology turned out to be the answer. It would let me graduate in my four years (plus a spring term) so I made the switch. I loved the classes and the subject is something I really enjoyed. That being said, more school really doesn’t seem to be in the cards for me. So what am I going to do with my worthless degree? Hopefully put it to use getting a job. Any job. I just need something that will help me support my family (just me and Kevin – don’t go gettin’ any crazy ideas about kids) for the time being. Maybe it’s a blessing. It could just give me the time I need to decide what I want to be when I grow up. :)

Tune in soon for the move. I promise it will be exciting. You may want to find some of those old-time sock suspenders to hold your socks on while you read. Yeah, it’s going to be that good.

3 comments:

princess jen said...

Congrats to the Doctor!! He will awesome :) I can't to find out where you end up in years 3 and 4!! Good job to you too for finishing your degree :)

Unknown said...

I think I was still on a mission last time you updated your blog :P

Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Good luck getting a job!

Mythreesons said...

Kayla, you make me laugh. I love when you blog! Too bad it's so rare. Like never. I probably won't hold my breath for the next post, but I will read it if you ever post one. Congrats on the all the exciting news and graduations and stuff! you have so many adventures ahead of you...